Tuesday, March 30, 2010

More Than I Am

I want to be more than I am.

In that I mean I want to be more than a person who only half cares about most things; who depends on her own strength then wonders why she falls flat on her face. I want to be a person of unbelievable faith, trusting God with every aspect of my life. With EVERY aspect. I want to be a Christian who is real and honest, open and bold, sensitive and excited, and not caught up in living to look spiritual and/or living to receive approval from everyone else. I want to be in tune to what God is telling me through the Holy Spirit.

I want to be a friend who listens attentively...slow to speak or interrupt, but completely engaged in another's life. I don't want to sit there wondering what they think of me or if they know my weaknesses, and also not afraid to share what insight that God has given me. I want to take the risk of opening my heart to others, to be ready to make authentic friendships, and also willing to be disappointed. I want to stop putting expectations on others. I want to be a person who cares about those around who are hurting and in need. Translated, that means caring about everyone and thinking less about myself. I want to be an open-handed giver of time, stuff, funds, and love/compassion.

I want to be an artist who isn't afraid to do art, a musician who isn't afraid to write music and a writer who isn't afraid to write. A creative person who isn't afraid to share her creativity. Who isn't afraid of the challenge. Who isn't afraid of failure. I want to be a person who works hard in all I do. Who serves hard in all I do. I want to be a dreamer who doesn't give up on her dreams. Who doesn't listen to the negativity around her that says she can't accomplish what God has given her to do.

I want to be an American who isn't the "American Stereotype." I want to be confident in who I am in Christ and not be afraid to be who I am, even if everyone else around me can't understand why I think the way I do, or put me into the box of easy classification. I want to stop being so completely hard on myself when I make a mistake. I want to stop listening to the lies of Satan. I want to fight for my freedom in Christ and hold on to his truth.

I want to be more than I am.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and I too feel some of the same things about myself.... you can absolutely be most of the things that you listed... you really can.... don't be too hard on yourself either... you may already have most of those beautiful qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Cara...
    Profound, indeed.
    <><

    ReplyDelete