Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sick and Tired

I'm sick. It's like a bad head cold that just leaves me feeling weak and stuffy, accompanied with a fever. I still had to go to work. Mon-Wed is Stocktake at K-mart. It's important. Any other day I would have called in sick. Thankfully I had a bit of meds here from when I was sick back in May, so I am feeling better.

I don't like my job. Retail is not my biggest interest in jobs, but when I worked at Barnes & Noble, I had more passion for what we were selling...books. And everyone working there did too. Barnes and Noble had more care about customer service. I went through training specifically for that. At K-mart, no one really wants to be there, things are more sloppy, and expectations of customer service are way down. They keep wanting me to work the main cashiering place when others don't really have to. It's probably because I actually acknowledge the customer being there and give them proper greeting. And even this week when I'm supposed to be doing stocktake, I still have to work the cashier area for a bit. Apparently two of my managers were fighting over what I should be doing this week, cashiering or stocktake. There were two schedules that said two different things. One said I work 9am-6pm which is what I usually do, and the other said I work 1pm to 10pm. I didn't realize I was so special. Aparently stocktake won. Fine.

But on Monday at the end of my late 10pm shift, they said that Tuesday may go untill 11pm because we were behind from last year. But they said they'd see how the earlier stocktake shift went. Well, on Tuesday, at 10pm I told them that I needed to go. They were a little annoyed. One guy asked me why I didn't tell him yesterday when he asked. All this time I was waiting for them to let us know how the first shift was going so I would know if I needed to bother at all, or if we were going to get off at the scheduled time. There was another worker who thought this too, so I know it wasn't just me. I was pretty annoyed that they were upset with me. It's already bad enough that I work 9 long hours for this with only a 30min dinner break, and I do this all while being sick, but then to be told that I need to work more hours? I don't think so. The schedule says 1pm to 10pm and that's what I agreed on when I was asked. Also, Tiana picks me up from work and she has to work early in the morning, so I can't be staying later. Needless to say, I am pursuing other interests and will only be keeping this job at K-mart only until another is found. Hopefully I can leave it in a few weeks because I am about to BREAK!

Tiana and I are really stressed and tired. We're not going to do full time jobs anymore. We haven't had time to do anything. We work, then sleep, work, then sleep. We didn't come to New Zealand to do that. We have a working holiday visa, but the holiday part seems to be missing. And in Sept, my mum's coming, so yeah. And yes, I said mum. Our jobs wouldn't go for us having 2 weeks off, so at the next job, we just have to tell them upfront.

So there, I'm sick and tired. You get it? Hehe. he. hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment