Sunday, July 29, 2007

FYI #7 Window Washers

Everyday around noon at the busy intersection of Ulster street and Mill street, there are a couple of Maori guys who walk around with water bottles filled with water and window brushes/squeegees. At red lights they go around washing peoples' car windows for free. Okay. That's nice. But just imagine a big tough looking guy, running from car to car and throwing water at a window, then squeegeeing the windows so hard that the car shakes. Or a big tough looking guy chasing a car down by squirting a line of water on the back window of a car whilst being several meters away, kind of to make the car stop, then running to the front of the car and doing the normal back and forth window wash, while inside a frail looking blonde cringes in her seat, hoping for this terrifying moment to end? I witnessed this the other day, while I was taking the bus to work. I about died in my seat from lack of oxygen because I was laughing so hard and trying to hold it in. This women in the car thought she was in real danger, and from the outside it looked funny.

Anywho, I always wondered why they washed the windows. Well, on Saturday, Tiana and I had a chance to find out when we were stopped at a red light and one of the guys came to wash our window. Tiana rolled down her window and asked why they did the window washing. The guy said that it was to keep him and his mates off the streets and to keep them busy so they don't get into any trouble. I don't know if they were doing a city service kinda thing, or doing this with a community group or even on their own, but I do know that we had the cleanest windows...

No comments:

Post a Comment