Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Jigga what?

It's been a rough couple of weeks for me. A lot has happened. What can I say? I miss home and the familiar terribly. I miss friends and family, especially during this holiday season...and here it's summer, so it makes this holiday season somehow unauthentic, though I know this is a normal occurrence in the southern hemisphere. It's just that most of the world is in Winter. And boy do I miss those snow cold days in Ohio, where the blue sky is hidden behind a grey curtain of cloud and weeps it's snow upon the expectant northerners.


To be home... decorating the Christmas tree, drinking Swiss Miss hot chocolate with normal marshmallows. Christmas cookies. Sledding. Christmas concerts and plays. Christmas lights on houses. Barnes & Noble Booksellers and falling in love with books all over again. Christmas specials on TV. American Chinese food for Christmas Eve. Family...


But no, I'm on my own in the harsh world of "adultness" and "life." Well...maybe not on my own since my sis is here too, but you get my point.


What's up?


About four weeks ago I had to choose between a job at "The Warehouse"(like walmart) and a job at "Pumpkin Patch Kids." It was a hard choice. I hadn't had an official offer from Pumpkin Patch when the Warehouse called, so I took the position there. The next day Pumpkin Patch calls, and I turn down the job since I already was offered the other one. I was also under the impression that I would have the opportunity to work the rest of my time in NZ at The Warehouse, so it seemed cool. But I should've known better. I was offered two days a week at Warehouse with one of the days being late at night, with the knowledge that I could add more hours when I went in. At Pumpkin Patch I was offered 3 days a week in Nov, then 5 days a week in Dec-Feb. Why did I choose the Warehouse? I have no idea.


When I interviewed at The Warehouse, I told them I may not have a car since we're borrowing a car from someone, so night shifts wouldn't be good. Of course they didn't listen and scheduled me for a late night. It was okay since I still had a car. Until now. We have to give our car back this week, so I am unable to work one of my days since I can only go by the bus schedule. I tried to talk to the managers about switching hours/ and adding hours but they said that their daytime hours were full and they actually have too many workers that they hired. But they said they can call me if people cancelled. However, I was called up to the office today because they said that I wasn't on the roster to work. I told them that I was filling in for a girl who needed someone to work for her. They said that it wasn't authorized and they didn't know of anyone who asked to have someone work for them, so they told me to go home. But the girl I was working for had told this manager that she couldn't come in and the manager told her to find someone to work for her because they didn't feel it was their job to call people. Wait. So...the girl, who is also new to working at The Warehouse, did exactly what they said, and they conveniently forgot, even though it's the manager's job to find a person as was told to me today. Typical.. So, I went home, after working just 3.5 hours. Of course I wondered why it took them so long to tell me that I had to leave. Hmm... Needless to say, I was pretty upset coming home. I had been looking for a second job the past few weeks and it's almost impossible to find a job now that doesn't require me to work on a Saturday. So, as of today.,I've been applying for jobs and saying that I am available Mon-Sat, and when I get another job, I'll have to quit The Warehouse.


I really don't like switching jobs so much, but I have bills to pay...which I don't have enough money to pay right now. And to top it off, I had a person who wanted to buy an artpiece from me for $110NZD and then I called to asked her when she wanted me to bring it to me and she seemed confused, and then she kinda remembered and said that she changed her mind.


Is this to be my life? Seriously...a starving artist who doesn't even have enough money to send Christmas gifts home that she bought months ago? Who has to pick and choose who she sends Christmas cards to? Whose credit card is alarmingly close to being maxed out? Whose hope of finding a job dwindles day by day as the temp agencies tell her their going on holiday and won't be open again until January and other jobs are weary of hiring someone who will be going home in 5 months. It's quite depressing. And I'm angry and very emotional. But I will not turn my back on God. I refuse to. He's all I have and he knows my needs. And he cares about me (1 Peter 5:7, Matt 6:25-34). He brought me here to this country of high price and few jobs. He will provide.


I could really use your prayers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment